What Is My Job?
You will supervise and maintain all property belonging to your congregation so that the ministries of the congregation can be effective. You will work closely with the church council to respond to God’s call.
What Are My Basic Responsibilities?
The trustees together have several legal and administrative functions. They are to:
1. Oversee, maintain, and supervise all local church property.
2. Report annually to the charge conference on the state of the church’s property, equipment, investments, and resources.
3. Receive and administer all gifts made to the congregation; make certain that all trust funds of the congregation are invested properly.
4. Ensure that the articles of incorporation of the congregation are kept up-to-date, if applicable.
5. Be responsible, in conjunction with the pastor, for all use of the church buildings and grounds.
6. Maintain adequate insurance coverage on all church property and develop appropriate risk management policies.
7. Submit to the committee on finance the annual budget requests for insurance, property maintenance and improvement, and new property purchases.
8. Be accountable to the charge conference and to the church council.
Much of the work of the trustees is governed by specific requirements of The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church.
FromTrustees 2009–2012. Copyright © 2008 by Cokesbury. Used by permission.